The Student News Site of Suffolk County Community College - Eastern Campus

The Lighthouse News

The Lighthouse News

The Lighthouse News

Student Government

Fall ‘23 Semester in Review

Antwan Gutierrez – Eastern Campus Student Government Association President In the 2023 fall semester, the Student Government

Association at the Eastern campus followed through with many of the previous semesters’ resolutions. We orchestrated three succinct surveys, each tackling rising concerns over co-curricular elements of college student life: course evaluations, the attendance policy, and the assessment of our Food Services department. Next semester, students can expect to have common hour again after long, demanding conversations with the administration and faculty across all campuses of SCCC. Vice President, President-Elect Serenity Lopez, along with Secretary/Treasurer, Vice President-Elect Rachel Crawford, will give rise to these polls at the beginning of the 2024 Spring semester.

Serenity Lopez – Vice President, President-Elect

Currently, the attendance policy here at Suffolk only allows you to miss two class days–a week’s worth of classes–with no penalty. Although we recognize the benefits of this policy, more often than not, it’s impractical. Generally speaking, the communication between the professor and student stands as the common method of resolving any issue relating to attendance. However, there are still courses and instances in which a course simply follows the college-wide policy. According to many students, this policy is unfair because some students have issues with their families, are out due to sickness, etc. Because of this rising concern, we’ve created a survey that addresses the questions and concerns about the attendance policy. With this survey, we hope to gain positive feedback and hope for a change in the policy. The survey will be given to the students in the spring semester of 2024.

Unlike at the Grant and Ammerman campuses, the Eastern Campus cafeteria is not funded by Aramark. The student activity fee in our tuition funds the food services here. We’ve created yet another survey for the students. We seek to inform students about this situation in the survey, as well as collect opinions and data from the students.

Rachel Crawford – Secretary/Treasurer, Vice President-Elect

Most institutions of higher education offer the choice to give an evaluation of each class at the end of every semester. These short surveys aid in future students’ enrollment decisions. At SCCC, evaluations are not offered. Past Student Governments at Suffolk have made some efforts to put forth evaluations, but to no avail. In completing such evaluations, we think that students may have a better experience here, and give potential rise to enrollment.

Contact SGA officers in the Peconic Building for questions and to share your thoughts on these initiatives.