The Student News Site of Suffolk County Community College - Eastern Campus

The Lighthouse News

The Lighthouse News

The Lighthouse News

Inside PTK:

Enhancing Campus Life and Serving the Community
    PTK Bake Sale with our president Nicole Gomez and some of our most active members

Have you noticed a group of students gathering in the Shark Tank every Tuesday, or perhaps witnessed our Bake Sale on December 5th? If you’ve wondered about these activities, let me introduce you to Phi Theta Kappa (PTK), an international honor society for students in two-year colleges.

Dedicated to the development of its members—academically, personally, and professionally—PTK is a great example of scholarly excellence on our campus. Under the guidance of our advisor, Courtney Desmond, and through constant collaboration with the Campus Activities Office, we, as members of the Phi Theta Kappa club, strive to make a positive impact within and in our campus.

Our recent college project focused on revitalizing the Shark Tank, transforming it into a welcoming space for students, with the introduction of a snack corner. The induction ceremony, meticulously overseen by club members, welcomed new additions to our devoted group, acquainting them and their families with the core values of scholarship, leadership, service, and fellowship that define PTK. Besides satisfying your sweet cravings, our recent Bake Sale on December 5th was a purposeful step toward a greater cause. The funds raised are now driving our Honors in Action project, where we aim to adopt a Seal (“Buddy Holly”) from the New York Marine Rescue Center!

If you ever receive an invitation to join PTK, consider accepting. As a member, you’ll build connections, access scholarships, and actively contribute to our community’s meaningful growth.